NOLA Media Group’s Best of 2017
2017 has been a year of tremendous growth here at NOLA Media Group. As we look back, there are numerous accomplishments this year that made us proud.
From a steady stream of accolades for our journalists and coverage, to breaking important stories that matter to the community, to taking important steps toward the future of our 180-year-old company, here’s our roundup of the best of 2017:
Creating a new look, feel and message for NOLA Media Group was a significant internal process we undertook. With the help of the PURE agency, NOLA Media Group unveiled the hyphen emblem that is the cornerstone of our new brand.
Combining the ubiquitous symbols of the NOLA.com circle and the hyphen in The Times-Picayune, our new logo represents our dedication to preserving our past as we look to the future and continue to progress as a company. “All Day, Every Day” is our mantra, which describes not only how we cover the news, but how we take care of our clients, our co-workers and our city. To mark the launch of our new brand, we gathered at a most fitting place: The Picayune Social House, which housed The Daily Picayune when it merged with The Times-Democrat in 1914 to eventually become The Times-Picayune.
2. NOLA Media Group launches 6 new brands:
One Tammany – At a time when many local news organizations are cutting back on the scope and reach of their reporting in metro areas, NOLA Media Group has doubled its presence in St. Tammany Parish. One Tammany delivers comprehensive news and information from the largest and most experienced news contingent in the parish, in a special print section on Wednesdays and Fridays for the St. Tammany zone and on social media @onetammany.
Where NOLA Eats – In New Orleans, we know food – we love food! Where NOLA Eats is our news brand dedicated to all things food, produced by our team of award-winning dining, drinks and cooking writers. Find our food coverage in our expanded Wednesday food and living section, dining and bar guides, and on social media @wherenolaeats. We also launched the Where NOLA Eats Facebook group, which has grown to more than 20,000 foodies interacting with our journalists, trading restaurant recommendations, sharing cooking tips and debating all things food.
Dunc and Holder – Combining the talents of celebrated sports journalists Jeff Duncan and Larry Holder, we created Dunc & Holder, a daily two-hour program that airs live Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to noon on WODT-AM Sports 1280, on nola.com/sports, and on the NOLA.com and iHeart radio apps. Tune in to hear Jeff and Larry’s smart sports talk for serious fans.
MardiGras.com – Our relaunch of MardiGras.com with a new look and feel in 2017 attracted millions of visitors from around the globe to interact with parade schedules, maps, photos, videos, breaking news, updates and much more. Throughout the Mardi Gras season and beyond, MardiGras.com is where Mardi Gras lives online. Find everything purple, green and gold at MardiGras.com and on social media at @nolamardigras.
NOLA Mundo – In partnership with Telemundo 42, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune launched a Spanish language news platform – NOLA Mundo – to bring news and information to the Spanish speaking community in New Orleans. You can find NOLA Mundo in our print editions on Wednesdays and Fridays in The Times-Picayune, on social media @nolamundo and at nolamundo.com.
The Go Cup – Sometimes there’s no escaping sad and unfortunate news in the world today, but in New Orleans, there is also much to celebrate: our unique culture, amazing food and the local characters that make the city special. The Go Cup was created to bring you the news, photos and videos that make you smile.
And that was just the beginning. Check out the rest of our highlights:
- Jeff Duncan wins Louisiana Sports Writers Association Columnist of the Year award for the second consecutive year
- The US Water Alliance honors Mark Schleifstein, environment reporter for NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune, for his 33-year career covering hurricanes, oil spills and other water issues
- The Times-Picayune partners with The New York Times to explore the causes and potentially catastrophic effects of coastal erosion and sea level rise along the Louisiana coast
- NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune and WVUE Fox 8 News partners with ClearHealthCosts to launch “Cracking the Code: the real cost of health care,” an investigative series about the cost of health care in New Orleans
- Journalists for NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune win more than 20 awards in the annual Mississippi-Louisiana Associated Press contest
- NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune honor Matt Schwartz with the 2017 T.G. Solomon Award for Excellence in Innovation
- NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune launches watchdog reporting team to investigate public interest issues in the city, state and region
- Food critic Brett Anderson’s reporting on the culture of sexual harassment at Besh Restaurant Group named Watershed Moment of the Year by Eater
BONUS: Did you miss these stories?
In addition to daily breaking news and entertainment, we also produced several series this year tackling issues that matter to Greater New Orleans. Find them here:
As we turn our attention to our plans for 2018, we are proud of what our talented staff has accomplished in 2017 and grateful for our community of readers, subscribers, supporters and clients. From all of us at NOLA Media Group, happy new year!